Saturday, March 20, 2010

6 months ago today...












the little face we had been staring at, known to us as CHI-9, and whose name, Li Bingyang, given to him by the Children's Welfare Institute of Xiamen City in Fujian province, finally became our wonderful reality.
A perfect stranger living on the other side of the world, now entering our lives to be our forever son. Our meeting could not have been more perfect and we realized that the years of waiting leading up to this moment, though difficult and hard to understand at the time, were for one reason..Collin.

Boarding our first airplane two days before, we felt anxious, but most of all, excited. With each of us only flying a couple of times before, it was the biggest adventure we would undertake as a couple. Traveling to the other side of the world in itself was amazing, but we were going to become parents in the process!
I will never forget the words of our guide upon meeting her at the airport in Collin's province that day. As we were riding the escalator up to the airport exit to get into the car that would take us to Collin, she said "We will be going straight to the hotel which is about 30 minutes away. You will have some time to get the paperwork in order and then you will meet your son." I hoped she didn't think it was rude, but at the moment I couldn't help it. I had to turn away from her and I immediately broke into tears with the reality of her words. This was really going to happen and it was wonderfully scary.
Although we had his picture, I still wondered what little Li Bingyang looked like, how little or big he would be, would he be scared or not, and most of all..would he like us?

At 4:30p.m. that Sunday on the 18th floor of the Lakeside Hotel in Fuzhou, China, our little boy literally RAN into our lives and every hesitation and fear we had about becoming parents through the miracle of adoption melted away.

Fast forward to today, 6 months later, and Collin is an inquisitive, funny, loving, tender, and smart little 3 1/2 year old. It was easy and natural for me to physically prepare for motherhood. Since I love to shop, getting Collin's room ready, buying the clothes, shoes, toys and puzzles, sippy cups, etc. that he would need on our trip and when he came home was a cinch. What I was not prepared for, and no one really can prepare for it until it happens, were the emotions motherhood brought. Although my son did not come from my body, he came from the deepest part of my heart, connecting us as if we were biologically related. He is mine and when he is hurting or upset, so am I. When he is scared, I wrap him in my arms and calm him from his fear. When he accomplishes a goal, I am proud of him.

I was once asked where his REAL mother was. I AM HIS REAL MOTHER and I am thankful for it every day...I could not ask for anything more!

What Collin is doing now: piling his noodles and alphabet letters on the living room floor.


















No comments:

Post a Comment