Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Little Professor Gives A Phonics Lesson


As I was making supper tonight, Collin occupied his time by playing with his word maker. It sticks by magnets onto the refrigerator. This is a great way for him to be in the kitchen with me, which is where he usually wants to be when I'm cooking. He enjoys working with letters and making words according to the letter sounds he hears. Collin was playing as he usually does and I was paying attention to the food on the stovetop and talking back and forth with him all the while and not really noticing what he was doing with his letters. All of a sudden he says "look mommy" and I turned and looked at the fridge and he had all of the red letters seperated from the other colored letters. He pointed to the red letters and said "those are the vowels", and then pointing to the other letters, said "those are the consonanats". My mouth hung open as I realized he was right! This is not something I had been working with him on. He maybe picked it up from his new LeapFrog video about school, but I have to confess, I have not payed close attention to it so I'm not sure if that is where he got it from or not. Either way, he's got it!
He's also been saying a new phrase today. He says "check it out!" He has also been very interested in conversations. After I get off of the phone, he will ask who I was talking to and what I said, and what the other person said. It can get a bit annoying, but I'm glad he's curious.
I'm hoping to get some swimming photos up soon because he loves the pool!
What Collin is doing now: whining for ice cream (because lately he's a bottomless pit)!













No comments:

Post a Comment